Jesus’ Last Moments
Jesus hung there on the cross between the two criminals. The sign Pilot ordered, hung over Jesus’ head, it said, This is the King of the Jews. The bible says the Jewish rulers were “sneering” at him. “He saved others,” they said. “Let him save himself if he’s God’s Messiah.”
One of the criminals who hung there with him also sneered. He said, “You’re supposed to be the Messiah? Save yourself and save us too.”
Darkness came across the land.
The curtain of the temple was torn in two.
Then Jesus called out loudly, “Father, into your hands I commit my spirit.”
And then he died.
How God Said It
In the story of Jesus’ death we see him mocked and sneered at while he hung there to die. Before that we feel his pain as we see him falsely accused, and whipped, and crowned with thorns, and nailed to the cross. We see it, we feel it, we experience it. That’s the way the bible is written. Have you ever noticed that? Have you ever noticed all the sensory experiential language in the bible?
- Jesus’ first miracle had to do with tasting. He turned the water into wine. And the master of the wedding feast tasted it and said, This is the best tasting wine of the feast.
- “Taste and see that the Lord is good…” Psalm 34:8 says.
- Jesus said, I am the bread of life, he who comes to Me will not hunger, and he who believes in Me will never thirst. (John 6:35) In fact most of John chapter 6 is about Jesus explaining how we must eat and drink of him.
And there’s also all the talk about Jesus our bridegroom, and how we’re his bride.
- Jesus said, “How can the guests of the bridegroom mourn while he is with them?” (Matthew 9:15)
- The bible says in Revelation, “The marriage of the Lamb has come, and his Bride has made herself ready…” (Revelation 19:7-9, see also Revelation 21:2, 21:9-11)
- And Jesus tells the parable of the virgins and the bridegroom in Matthew 25.
And those are just a few examples. So why does the bible push all this sensory and experiential language on us? What is God saying to us?
What God Wants
What is he saying to us? What does God want? Here’s what He’s saying to us: Continue reading