Meditate on it day and night — Joshua 1:8

Daily (Photo credit Chris Plunkett)

Study this Book of Instruction continually. Meditate on it day and night so you will be sure to obey everything written in it. Only then will you prosper and succeed in all you do.

Joshua 1:8

When I was a Captain on the fire department we had a class where the instructor shared this stat: 93% of what a person does during the course of a typical day is done out of habit. That leaves only 7% of your actions that require a decision. So what does that say about living a successful life? Your habits are everything! 93% of what you do is based on your habits! Aristotle said it well when he stated: “We are what we repeatedly do.”

In the book of John, speaking of Jesus, the very first verse tells us, In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. So what John is saying here is Jesus is the Word of God incarnate! (John actually states Jesus is God’s Word twice in this passage. And here is where he also recognizes Jesus as the Creator. See John 1:1-14) This is huge! This means when you spend time in God’s word you’re spending time with Christ Himself! It reminds me of that old question everyone asks, “If you could have dinner with anyone in history, who would it be?” Well, you could choose to have dinner with, say, a great musician, but why would you do that when you could have dinner with the One Who created the musician in the first place, even all music for that matter, even all matter for that matter. The point is, the opportunity to spend time in God’s Word is an opportunity to spend time with the Creator of the universe. Recognizing this, it’s not surprising then how dramatically a life is changed when the habit of prayerfully reading through the Bible is inserted into that life. I’ve seen it in others who developed this habit and have experienced it myself. The habit of prayerfully reading through the scriptures every day is one of the most powerful habits you can develop because you’ll be spending time with the most powerful Being in the universe.

It will change your life.

It has changed mine.

“Then said Jesus to those Jews which believed on him, If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed”

John 8:31 (KJV)

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s