God Running is a place for anyone who wants to (or even anyone who wants to want to) love Jesus more deeply, follow Jesus more closely, and love people the way Jesus wants us to.
So a man named Jay Bennett reached out to me earlier this month and he asked me to teach from the Love Like Jesus book as a guest speaker for his online Bible study. We both thought it was funny that we share the same last name (to our knowledge we’re not related). But later I learned it’s not just Jay. His two brothers Mitch Bennett and Sterling Bennett participate and sometimes they teach too. Jay’s son also participates. The night I shared with Jay’s group I jumped on early and met some of the attendees and almost immediately I felt as though I was among family and friends, and yes, I know, five of us in the group had the same last name, but it went way beyond that. Everybody in Jay’s group, including those not named Bennett, was warm and welcoming. Which is something I’ve seen before: the people most interested in learning how to love like Jesus are often people who are already warm, kind, caring, and loving people. I had a great time sharing that night and fortunately Jay recorded it so I can share it with you. I hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoyed my time with them.
Love Like Jesus: How Jesus Loved People (and how you can love like Jesus) available on Amazon!
Love Like Jesus begins with the story of how after a life of regular church attendance and Bible study, Bennett was challenged by a pastor to study Jesus. That led to an obsessive seven year deep dive. After pouring over Jesus’ every interaction with another human being, he realized he was doing a much better job of studying Jesus’ words than he was following Jesus’ words and example. The honest and fearless revelations of Bennett’s own moral failures affirm he wrote this book for himself as much as for others.
Love Like Jesus examines a variety of stories, examples, and research, including:
- Specific examples of how Jesus communicated God’s love to others.
- How Jesus demonstrated all five of Gary Chapman’s love languages (and how you can too).
- The story of how Billy Graham extended Christ’s extraordinary love and grace toward a man who misrepresented Jesus to millions.
- How to respond to critics the way Jesus did.
- How to love unlovable people the way Jesus did.
- How to survive a life of loving like Jesus (or how not to become a Christian doormat).
- How Jesus didn’t love everyone the same (and why you shouldn’t either).
- How Jesus guarded his heart by taking care of himself–he even napped–and why you should do the same.
- How Jesus loved his betrayer Judas, even to the very end.
With genuine unfiltered honesty, Love Like Jesus, shows you how to live a life according to God’s definition of success: A life of loving God well, and loving the people around you well too.
A life of loving like Jesus.