A Prayer for the Right Use of Sickness by Blaise Pascal, Pensees
Remove, Oh Lord, that sadness which, owing to self-love, is produced by my suffereings, and by those worldly objects which will not be reconciled to the inclinations of my heart, and regard not Thy glory; but infuse a sadness conformable to Thy own. Let my sufferings serve to appease Thy wrath. Make them the occasion of my conversion and salvation. Henceforth let me not wish for health and life, but to employ it and end it for Thee, in Thee, and with Thee.
I ask of Thee neither health nor sickness, neither life nor death; but that Thou wouldest dispose of my health and sickness, of my life and death, for Thy glory, for my salvation, and for the advantage of the church and of Thy saints, of whom I hope, by Thy grace, to form a part. Thou alone knowest what is heedful for me; though art my Sovereign Master; do with me as seems good in Thy sight. Either give or take away; but at all events, conform my will to Thine, so that, in humble and unreserved submission, and in holy confidence, I may prepare myself to receive allotments of Thy eternal Providence, and receive with equal gratitude whatever comes from Thee.
Newly released book now available on Amazon!
Love Like Jesus: How Jesus Loved People (and how you can love like Jesus)
Love Like Jesus begins with the story of how after a life of regular church attendance and Bible study, Bennett was challenged by a pastor to study Jesus. That led to an obsessive seven year deep dive. After pouring over Jesus’ every interaction with another human being, he realized he was doing a much better job of studying Jesus’ words than he was following Jesus’ words and example. The honest and fearless revelations of Bennett’s own moral failures affirm he wrote this book for himself as much as for others.
Love Like Jesus examines a variety of stories, examples, and research, including:
- Specific examples of how Jesus communicated God’s love to others.
- How Jesus demonstrated all five of Gary Chapman’s love languages (and how you can too).
- The story of how Billy Graham extended Christ’s extraordinary love and grace toward a man who misrepresented Jesus to millions.
- How to respond to critics the way Jesus did.
- How to love unlovable people the way Jesus did.
- How to survive a life of loving like Jesus (or how not to become a Christian doormat).
- How Jesus didn’t love everyone the same (and why you shouldn’t either).
- How Jesus guarded his heart by taking care of himself–he even napped–and why you should do the same.
- How Jesus loved his betrayer Judas, even to the very end.
With genuine unfiltered honesty, Love Like Jesus, shows you how to live a life according to God’s definition of success: A life of loving God well, and loving the people around you well too.
A life of loving like Jesus.